Thursday, May 27, 2010

Things Get Interesting

Between the day of the election and the first council meeting, things got interesting. I left a congratulatory message for Gil Lillard. Gil won the council seat I previously held. Gil left an acknowledgement message in return.

A day or two later, Gil sought me out by phone and we spoke. After exchanging pleasantries, Gil began a curious set of statements. First, two or three times he said he wished he had defeated councilman Jane Kittner instead of me. Then he proceeded to tell me that he was an independent voice on the council. When I asked what he meant, he told me there were " the OBric guys, the incumbents, and then there is me. I am a lone wolf." He wanted to know if he could call me in the future about questions he might have concerning city business . Before I could answer, he again told me he was his own man and would be making his own decisions. I responded by telling Gil I was going to take some time to put everything into perspective. I also told him I had always been happy to help honest, sincere people.

Hanging up, I reflected on that call. I kept wondering the value of repeatedly telling me he wished he had beaten Jane instead. He knew I had served with Jane on the council, and should have seen my respect for her. He had beaten me in the election -- why didn't that stand on it's own merit? The lone wolf comment, well I'll let you decide on that one.

The next day things became a little clearer. Speaking to a couple of the other outgoing incumbents, I learned Gil was calling them all with similar statements. He was "working" everyone, but to what end?

My comment to Gil about putting the election into perspective was sincere. I needed a few days to bleed off any excess emotion and try to objectively take the pre-election, election day, and post election events and understand them.

I once read a wonderful saying, " If you lose, don't lose the lesson". I was now trying to do just that--- learn from all of this. I needed to understand what it really meant for the future of our city, what it meant for the city employees, what it meant to my neighbors, and what it meant for me.

Then the first defining moment of many happened -- the Trib published an article about the election results. With the usual MOB diatribe was an accounting of comments by Chuck Garner. He acknowledged running on a platform to remove Yost Zachkary, but suddenly, before serving one day, he said he may have been "harsh". Concerning his campaign platform, “Initially, I did say that. I am a little more thoughtful about it now.”

What? Excuse me? Let me get this straight. You make throwing a man out of his leadership position a focal point of your campaign, but you want to be reflective after winning with that promise? There's more.

Chuck blogs about the upcoming 1st council meeting at which he will be sworn in. He comments, "There will be some delay, as my "orientation" to City workings by Mr. Zakhary is scheduled to take place after the meeting." Why the sarcasm quote marks on orientation?

Mr. Garner goes on to blog "I have heard that a high city official may have circulated the rumor that the new City Council members plan to "shut down the Arboretum" or other nonsense. This is a ridiculous charge, and appears designed to stir up opposition against the new members. I understand that there is perhaps an effort underway to pack the first meeting with those that have been misled by these and other lies."

Folks, as his words sank in, I was speechless. Well for a moment anyway. Here is a newly elected official, who promised citizens more transparency, a higher level of accountability, a higher level of responsibility to the people.
Yet before he is sworn in he:

1. waffles on his promise to remove Yost,

2. reestablishes his lack of respect for Yost,

3. and pushes out a rumor, supposedly from a high city official (lightly veiled reference to Yost) to stir people up? Thoughtful?

On top of all of this, Chuck is disturbed that people may have been lied to which might in turn affect him. What about all of OB's lies?

Sometimes, events in a man's life don't build character; they simply reveal them.

Chuck demonstrated no interest in being thoughtful; he was being purposeful.

Next Blog, the First Council Meeting.